Monday, February 23, 2009

We are both right.

The sun is warm and the grass it bright and the world is serenely blanketed in the sky's blue.

After hearing an earnest man debate pragmatically in favour of the truths of intelligent design, I no longer felt compelled to stay. I realized that what really bothers me about the argument between creationists and evolutionists is not the logic of either side in particular (the evidence seemed balanced and convincing enough) but the completely polarizing point of view: "I am right and you are wrong and we are brilliant and you are all ignorant." I wish that scientists of both opinions could see that they are all just doing the best they can with what they have; I wish that they would spend some quality time together to really figure this out with all perspectives involved instead of just shouting at each other from opposite sides of the room.

Maybe most scientists really are peacefully searching for truth together. Maybe it is just the didactic ones who make the news, in the same way as the militant terrorist Muslims get all the coverage while the overwhelming majority of peaceful Muslims go unnoticed.

As for me, I would much prefer to bask in the glory of the earth: the music of the songbirds, green of the trees and yellow of the dandelion. Especially on this pleasant February day.

To you, the world is a cesspool of torment, an abomination. To me, the world is an unfathomable beauty and joy. We are both right.

No comments: