Thursday, April 15, 2010

Indubitably Supreme

The next time I find myself in the midst of a heated debate regarding the classification of a tomato, I will know exactly what to say. I will bring into remembrance the 1893 case of Nix v. Hedden, in which the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously decided that the tomato is indeed to be called a vegetable based on its functionality (at least for tax purposes), despite its fruity botanical makeup. All the same, the tomato is the official fruit of three different states, and New Jersey (that wily maverick!) has thus far been unsuccessful in its efforts to make it the state vegetable.

I side with Shakespeare: “That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” That is, I really don’t care enough about this to make you read any more. The end.

No comments: