Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My Values

Optimism: Am I finding the joy in everything?
Because one's outlook on life largely determines the life's outcome, I choose to live with joy, as I believe it is the best way to make myself and others happy.

Gentleness: Am I letting Peace on Earth begin with me?
If I am to be an advocate of Peace in general, I need to live up to that standard in my personal choices. Because I truly believe that an affirmative Peace is the best way to live, I will not threaten it, even if it compromises my personal opinions.

Truth: Am I expressing my self, my whole self, and nothing but my self?
I strongly believe that if each person were to be completely open about who they are, and what good and bad they have in their lives, we would live in a near-utopian society, where we could truly know each other and respect each other's differences. Because I believe this, I choose to share myself with others as openly as possible. I must also keep an open mind to others as they share with me.

Interdependence: Am I cultivating community?
My friends are of the greatest value to me. Because people matter, I will act like it. Because life is short, I will not pretend to take more pleasure in interacting with a machine than a real human being. Because I Love people, and I Love nothing else, I will give them my upmost attention, even if it may cause me personal loss.

Wisdom: Am I moving forward?
I am on a journey to unknowable depths, and I acknowledge that I may never arrive at Point B. I will not, however, become complacent where I am, and will continue to strive forward in search for who-knows-what.

2 comments:

Dan said...

They're beautiful man. I need to revisit mine...

By the way, your little description says "A Compilations..."

Katie said...

Dan stole my word. I was just going to say "beautiful." and leave it at that.

So since one word won't do, I'll have to use a few more: I so admire you, and your values, Peter. Your life and soul are a wonder to behold. You never cease to inspire.