Thursday, December 27, 2007

I've Been Dreaming of a True Love's Kiss...


It was an accident, I swear! I sat down in the theatre with my other twenty family members sprawled across the row and then some, and asked what we were watching. "Enchanted! Disney's new amazing classic-ish hit!" 

So I watched the film. And I watched the people around me (because sometimes that's more fun, you know). And, surprise of all surprises, I enjoyed it! Disney pulled off a meaningful, moderately musical, rather laughable complete parody of itself. Yes, in truth, it was very good, especially with the whole family watching alongside. 

It's classic: the perfect fairy-tale princess-to-be in the perfect fairy-tale world finds herself by some twist of fate in modern-day New York City.

I never took the time to think about how ridiculous one of the Disney princesses would look in the real world. The epitome of naiveté, completely out of it, the most clueless and sweet thing, far too bubbly for her own good. But what's really interesting is the contrast between her ideals of true love and the reality in the US. When she hears about a couple getting a divorce, she just breaks down and weeps hysterically (in both senses of the word). She is aghast at the fact that people go on dates before they get married. It really got me thinking about our culture.

So the lass and beau wander through central park, the man describing his love life, and the lady suggests that he sings to his ladyfriend (being another person), then demonstrates said technique. Suddenly a group of buskers—Caribbean-style percussionists and a singer—join in with her. Then a street guitarist! Then a mariachi band! And eventually, what started as a solo evolves into an orchestra of hundreds, all singing the same song, dancing through central park as one ludicrous flesh!

Ah, if only life were a musical, and we could all join together in massive song and dance at any given moment!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I saw this too!

My only disappointment with it was that even though they made fun of the Happily Ever After fairy tale, it still ended happily ever after. It was the same story, just a different twist. I might have felt differently if Nancy and the Prince hadn't wrapped everything up so nicely. In real life, people are hurt, and rarely does the person you walk away from wind up marrying a prince and moving to fairy land. :)

I've been watching too many indie films. I can't go back to Hollywood. :)

Gina said...

This is my favorite movie EVER, by the way :)