Thursday, December 27, 2007

Love is...


I've been watching my elder cousin sitting beside his girlfriend. He's perusing the laptop. She's thumbing through a book. No words are exchanged. Hardly even a touch, except for side-to-side, because of their close proximity.

This is foreign to me. I can stay up chatting until the early hours, but I cannot understand this. Is this a lack of communication? Or is there this a silent understanding and connection, that supersedes speech. 

"When Kino had finished, Juana came back to the fire and ate her breakfast. They had spoken once, but there is not need for speech if it is only a habit anyway. Kino sighed with satisfaction—and that was conversation." --John Steinbeck, The Pearl  (Chapter 1)

1 comment:

Shells said...

It is the same as friendship Peter Pan. Sometimes I can sit for hours with my best friends around me. None of us saying anything but just enjoying the company.

It's not solely related to Love. But in love there is a different air. The air of being content to be close to the one you love words are spoken through body language.