Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Oh, the people you meet!


So I meet the man in the airport bathroom with a gig bag on his back. He's sporting Havianas (Brasilian Flip-Flops) and is bummed about forgetting to detune his guitar (not good for flying/ the pressure snaps the strings). We joke about the beauty and value of foreign guitars and women. He's chill. Perhaps 22 with a light Damien Rice beard. He invites me into the bar for a chat over a beer, but I politely decline. I sort of regret not accepting, not so much for the beer, but for the chat. I may be a minor, and my flight was leaving in half an hour, and my family was waiting for me to get back from the bathroom, but it's really quite an experience to meet new people.

Speaking of which, on the flight I sat next to a pair of elderly-ish women (I'd guess 60-80), who may have been sisters or mother & daughter. They were fun little ladies, perusing People magazine and making fun of all the teen celebrities. The elder sported a spirally santa hat which she claimed was the exact same one that Jim Carrey wore in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and lamented the fact that no one else on the plane wore one. "No Christmas spirit nowadays!" to which the other replied, "Oh, you're just full of bullshit." All with very good nature, of course. By the end of the flight we were very loudly singing Christmas carols together (one passenger asked if we would take requests!).

Every person has such beauty in them! May we all find it, no matter how deeply we must look.

And yet, I remember none of their names....

2 comments:

Dan said...

You're really fucking awesome. For lack of stronger words. I think you're my hero man.

Katie said...

I second what Dan said. And in this case, one utterly and simply MUST use the word "fucking," because there is no better word.

You're my hero too.